Rose Nail Art Tutorial

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Hello friends! It's Recess Week so I finally have a bit of time to catch up on nail art tutorial requests and today I've finally compiled two tutorials solely for ROSES. *claps hands*

Why roses?
- Because I love roses and I love drawing roses on paper and on my nails. I wish I could draw roses on my nails as well as I do on paper :(


Why 2 different tutorials?
- There are many many mannnyyyy ways to draw roses. And with that, you can use decals, stickers, stamps etc. Personally, I love using acrylic paint to draw roses. However, when I'm lazy, I use nail polish. You'll see that both has somewhat a different effect. That being said, it is not necessary for you to get acrylic paint and a nail art brush just to draw roses. I aim for effectiveness in my nail art ;)

If you wanna the roses that I've done on my nails so far, simply check out my instagram feed. There's just way too many! :D

Okay so if you're interested in finding out how to draw roses on your nails,




Colors used: 
Base: Sinful Colors "Easy Going"
Rose: OPI  "Pink Friday"
Leaves: OPI "Mermaid Tears"

I'm gonna skip those 1-10 step by step narration and just tell you some tips while doing this, which is essentially the basics (in my opinion) for roses.
  • Think of roses in "C"s, except that these "C"s are not exactly curved perfection "C"s, but wriggly kinds. 
  • Once you start from the middle, draw your "C"s according to one direction (HAHAHA). For example, if you look at step 3 onwards, you'll see that my "C"s follow in a counter-clockwise direction.
  • Remember to create long and short "C"s as you go along.
  • The leaves are there to cover up any screw ups you made in the roses (okay not really, but I do think of the leaves in that way... :P)



You'll also realise that both nail polish and acrylic paint gives off different effects. 
Depending on which you prefer! :)

Oh and some tips for acylic paint! :)
  • Try to mix the colors up a bit. That'll give the roses more depth and dimension (I didn't do it for this tutorial to prevent confusion)
  • I think top coat does soften the look for acrylic painted roses. Check steps 10 and 11 :)
So that's all for these two tutorials! Once again, let me emphasise that this is how I do my roses and I believe I've made this sort of my "signature" roses? I don't know. I like doing these kind of roses compared to any other types so. 


If you decide to try this out, do tag me in a picture on instagram or email me or whatever! Hahaha! I'd love to see your recreations!
If you have any further questions, do comment/kik/whatever me as well!

Oh oh and don't forget to participate in my VINTAGE THEMED contest! ;) Check my instagram feed for more details! That's all loves! 


thank you for reading! Love,

4 comments :

Choi - The Choi-ful nail diary! said...

WHAT are you on about?! You do your roses just as well as you do them on paper. They're still looking pretty cute if you ask me! Thanks for the tutorial.

Kay Woo said...

Hey Annabel, I have nominated you for both the Sunshine award and the Versatile Blogger award. Check out my post here: http://twentysixnails.wordpress.com/2013/03/02/the-sunshine-award-and-the-versatile-blogger-award/ :)

Ria Marii Olt said...

oh, the drawn roses are amazing. I have the exact same pencil, I feel oddly close to you now :). Also congratulations on the nominations^. Check out brushmeblush.blogspot.com if you don't know who to nominate :).

Katie Z said...

I used your fabulous tutorial for my very first attempt at freehand nail art! I think the mani actually came out better than I was expecting. I'm really a terrible artist. Seriously, even my stick figures look sad. So trying to do anything in my nails was pretty much out of the question. But my friend got me to try, and I'm so glad I did! You'll be able to see my pictures on Instagram (UncommonMagpie) and on my blog on Tuesday. I always give credit, so I'll include a link back to this page as the tutorial that got me through it.
Thanks so much for this post!